Jorge J. Pérez is a cuban photographer based in Miami, Florida. Jorge was born on February
21, 1987, in the historic town of Cerro, a municipality of Havana, Cuba.
Jorge learned how to draw at a very young age. Like most kids his age with a talent for art, Jorge would
spend many hours drawing. His passion for drawing helped him develop a strong sense of form and a
keen eye for composition, skills which he would later apply to his current passion – photography.
In 2006, he graduated with a Electronics Technician degree from Instituto Politécnico Osvaldo Herrera located Habana. It was during this time that Jorge discovered
photography and fell in love with this particular art medium. Unlike most photographers, Jorge did not
start with a camera. He got involved with photography when he was studying imaging-editing on a
computer and learning how to use PhotoShop. At some point in his studies, Jorge realized he needed to
add new images. It was then that he bought a camera and started taking photos. In order to improve his
photographic skills, Jorge studied at the Proyecto Club Fotográfico de Cuba in 2008 and participated in a
Project Creation Workshop at the Instituto Superior de Arte.
In 2011, Jorge left his homeland and came to live in the United States where he continues to pursue in
what has become his sole vocation, art, and passion. Upon coming to America, Jorge wanted to continue
his studies in photography. He applied to the New World School of the Arts. To be admitted, he had to
create a portfolio. Jorge submitted “Farewell to Cuba” a uniquely, sentimental portrait of Cuba as seen
through Jorge’s eyes in the final months before departing the land of his birth. His portfolio was well-
received and Jorge was readily accepted. He studied at New World from 2013-2015.
Jorge Pérez’s work appears in permanent collections throughout the United States and Cuba as well as
in the Cuban-American Phototheque Foundation which is located in Miami, Florida. Also, Jorge is a
regular contributor to FullFrame Photography Magazine.
Jorge likes to shoot in the following formats: digital, 35mm, and 120mm film. Recently, Jorge has
discovered black and white film photography which, he feels, allows him to express himself in a more
impactful manner than digital photography.
Currently, Jorge is fascinated with street photography, and documentary photography.
· First Place Prize in the "2017 International Photography Competition" organized by the FMoPA (Florida Museum of Photographic Arts) under the category of Documentary, Social, and Political Journalism.
· Anniversary Exhibition (FullFrame Magazine)
· Publication in the magazine El Estornudo
· Made in Miami (Miami Photo Lounge)
· Collective exhibition Five (Inauguration of the Festival Voices of the World) (Melen Club, Havana, Cuba)
· Publications in the magazine FullFrame
· Collective exhibition Aquiro II (Cuban American Phototheque Foundation)
· Miami Photo Lounge
· Publications in Cuba Absolutely
· Publications Quinqué: Cuban photography blog.
· Babel collective exhibition. Néstor Arenas Studio. Miami / FL
· Collective exhibition Cuban Collectors. USA / Miami / Fl
· Collective exhibition Urban Photography in the Office of the Historian.
· First Place in the International PhotoFest Competition. Romerías de Mayo Photography Festival. Holguín
· Photo-correspondent. Presentation of Celso Woltzenlogel in concert. Basilica Minor of the Convent of St. Francis of Assisi. Old Havana.
· Collective Exhibition of Equal Diverse and Safe Photography. Rubén Martínez Villena Room. Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba, Havana.
· Collective exhibition of photography As Martí dreamed it. Student House of the FEU, Havana
· Third Photo Exhibition Martí and his city. Jose Marti Cultural Society, Havana
· Third award. Digital Photography Contest PICTURE CUBA